sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I HAVE A 1997 DODGE caravan when you turn the lights on the

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1997 DODGE caravan when you turn the lights on the dash lights up for a minute or two then the go out like there on a timer or tied into the inside dome lights! Only way to get them to come back on is to shut the head lights off then turn them back on but then it just repeats its self were they go back out! Also the only door that work with the driver side door locks is the driver side door neither sliding doors can be locked!
JA: Have you checked the dashboard control switch? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: Yes I have like I said they come on but go out right away!
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes I am, I have also checked the solder on the instrument panel!
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked the gauges circuit board, pulled the iod fuse out and put back in
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.
HI , My Name is***** will Try to assist you
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the issue with the instrument cluster is the illumination turning off then it could be an internal cluster issue, wiring, or the problem could be in the body control module. The BCM controls the instrument cluster illumination on a dedicated circuit, if it sees current draw go too high then it will power it down for self preservation. Is the only problem with illumination and the rest of the instrument cluster functions are still operational?