Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

My fuel gauge is always reading "fuel tank" on my

Customer Question

My fuel gauge is always reading "fuel tank" on my dodge dakota.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. If this is the tank is always reading "full tank" (not the fuel tank as posted above) and you know this isnt the correct fuel level in most cases then this fault here is most commonly caused by an internal electrical fault in the fuel level sensor needing replaced in the fuel tank.I have seen the fuel level sensors fail in the past several times before and had to replace it for this issue here.If this message actually says fuel tank this may be an issue with a loose fuel cap needing reinstalled properly or an issue with one of the EVAP fuel tank emissions components leaking and an EVAP test by a shop or dealer will need to be done to determine what is leaking and from there it can then be repaired to correct this fault here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete