bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

When I set at Idle and then accelerate on occasion I have a

Customer Question

When I set at Idle and then accelerate on occasion I have a loud roaring noise and then will dissipate. Not sure what it is. Thought maybe it would be the fan system?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
it's possible BUT first i need a bit more infodo you have an engine driven fan one that's attached to the water pump and has anything at all been done to the vehicle recently?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I have a clutch fan and additional electrical fan
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
ok so you DO have an engine driven fan (heavy duty cooling) BUT what about my second question has this been replaced recently? say with an aftermarket part?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There has been no work on the the truck lately We did have the compressor on the air replaced but that was more than a year ago
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There has not been aftermarket parts used on the truck
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok what happened no response
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
ok my BEST guess without actually looking at the truck is the clutch on the engine driven fan is failing, you can do a fast and dirty test by opening the hood with teh truck at full operating temp and running the engine for a bit then shutting it down the fan SHOULD spin for a bit and NOT feel super tight, there should be some slight resistance as you rotate the fan, if it feels super tight the clutch has failed and locked the fan which will cause a roaring noise, at idle on a cool (not super hot and humid) day this fan should not really come into play and th eelectric fan will handle all the engines cooling as necessary, this fan comes into play when the a/c is on on a hot humid day and when you have a heavy load that requires extra cooling. this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks I will check this out
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
i'm sorry it's NOT an instant thing i was typing a long response.i would replace the fan clutch preferably with a factory one as the aftermarket ones tend to be very sensitive and loud, while th efactory ones are much quieterthis is based on the cooling system being in perfect condition and the engine not running hotter than normalthis site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not over heating but is it possible as well that the electric fan is failing as the clutch fan seems to run and the electric fan does not.
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
turn on the a/c after a bit the electric fan should come on (depends on temperature) if not then the electric fan may just be failing this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
no problem are you looking to fix this yourself?if so what's your skill level especially with electricity