Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I had an oil change place change my oil an filter on my '06

Customer Question

I had an oil change place change my oil an filter on my '06 caravan 3.8. they broke the plastic end off and ordered a new dipstick. when the part came in I just picked it up thinking it would be a simple matter I drilled the plastic end, screwed in a screw and pulled it out. without bothering to compare the two dipsticks, I just put in the new one. a few weeks later I had it in the shop for a tune-up when my mechanic showed me where my rear valve cover was leaking. It was fresh oil and I had had no spots on the driveway, So I was pretty sure it was a new leak. after changing the gaskets we checked the oil and it was way over full. ,thinking I had gotten the wrong dipstick, I ordered a new one from dodge It was identical to the one I had put in. so it shows way over full so I'm not sure what to do next
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
Hi im kevin i would speak to oil change place and give them the opertunity to put it right .the excess engine oil needs to be drained but down the line it could have damaged catalytic converters and any other oil seal on engine through excess pressure