Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I have a 2002 dodge neon and sometimes when stopped at a red

Customer Question

I have a 2002 dodge neon and sometimes when stopped at a red light it will idle rather roughly. But only sometimes. And turning the wheel one way or the other will make it stop completely. I have recently changed the map sensor and power steering idle sensor. ( not to sure of the name of it) but it still continues.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 6 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. My name is Ed.

It sounds like your Neon would benefit from a PCM flash update.

TSB 18-013-02 REV. A describes the condition you're experiencing -- the engine idles OK most of the time, but will on occasions become rough. This is because conditions have been met for the PCM to apply its "no-load" mode, which happens on a fully-warmed engine and with little accessory load applied (no A/C, blower motor, headlights, power steering load, etc). A quick turn of the steering wheel will apply a load to the engine and the PCM will pick up on it, raising the idle speed from the no-load speed of 600 RPM back to 800. This TSB authorizes the addition of software that will remove the no-load low RPM feature, which was designed only to provide fuel savings.

You'll probably need to see the dealer to have this software installed, although some independent repair shops may have the capability to provide factory flash updates. The TSB also recommends a flash update for the TCM (transmission control module) to improve acceleration by making it easier to obtain an automatic downshift with the same amount of throttle application. It'll just feel peppier.

Ed

Hi.

I see you haven't viewed my response yet, so I'm writing to give you a new link.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help.

Ed