sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 2006 Dodge Charger won't start. I replaced a broken

Customer Question

Hi my 2006 Dodge Charger won't start. I replaced a broken egnition switch recently, my starter, battery and alternator is good the car has power the dashboard light up everything work but when u go to crank, nothing happens not a sound. The security red light is not on either what could be the problem?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that can cause lack of starter engagement. The problem may be with the transmission range sensor, wiring, the powertrain control module may not be awake, it could be the starter, the starter relay, or as simple as a blown fuse.

Do you hear the fuel pump run and the throttle body do a self test when the key is turned on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I hear the fuel pump
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we checked the starter, we checked all the fuse and replaced a blown ignition fuse but it still doesn't start. The car is in great condition, engine great transmission great it just seems the car just wont crank like its sleep or something.

What specific fuse was replaced?
Did it blow again?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the 20 amp rear ignition fuse in the trunk fuse box and it didn't blow again after we replaced it.

What was the actual fuse number?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
18 in the trunk

Fuse 18 is for the cigarette lighter.

Does the throttle body do a self test when the key is turned on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if that's a winding noise that happens when you turn the key to the on position yes. maybe I'm reading the diagram wrong but the fuse read IGN next to the fuse I replaced. it was the only fuse that was labeled or had letters next to it. it read IGN

The throttle body will give a clicking noise in the engine compartment each time the key is turned on.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I hear a clicking when I turn the key
Does the shifter display show that the trans is in park?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have you tried swapping the starter relay with another?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we did try that. We have a locksmith here. we tried taking it to Dodge and somehow they cant help me because my car is "too old " for their computers so I know someone who is a locksmith that has a computer reader that hooks up too my car and reads a code b1a29 skim basestation mis match and code b1a28 also have you ever hear something like that?
I thought it was a no crank condition. Did it start and die three times before locking the starter out?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no the car was working fine on day I went to the shop to get an alignment, after that I went to auto zone to price some parts for my other car. Got into the car and it wouldn't crank anymore. wouldn't turn over, make any noise at all. so I got it towed back to the NTB shop were they told me they tested my starter and it was out. I wanted a second opinion because that didn't seem like the issue so I got it towed to mineke where I had a diagnostic test done and they said my starter is fine its my ignition switch actuator pin needed to be replaced. we replaced it and it still didn't crank the mechanic said something isn't getting power and maybe being that we were messing with things behind the ignition that it may have locked up. so that's when I got a locksmith to come which is a friend to see if we did anything to lock up the security system.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
one day also I was backing up making a sharp right turn into a parking spot and my car completely turned off you think that has something to do with anything?

Have the SKIM module or PCM been replaced? One of the codes is for a mismatch between the two.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no we haven't replaced those?

Do you have access to an actual scan tool to check for PCM communication? It sounds as if the PCM has failed but I wouldn't expect fuel pressure or the throttle body to operate.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he says the PCM didn't fail. he used the tool to clear the 2 codes that was popping up.

Someone has diagnosed the problem through electrical testing then?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't understand what you are asking me...

You said you were told the PCM has not failed, which would mean that someone has done the required electrical testing to determine what the problem is or that the PCM is functioning.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
oh yes he is right here currently
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the locksmith
What testing was done to prove the PCM is functioning properly?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it was a trouble code test
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also when we turn the key while its in the ignition we notice the check engine light flashes

Checking for fault codes isn't to be confused with actual testing.

What needs to be done is use a scan tool to see if the PCM will communicate and show live data. If awake it needs to be checked for fault codes. If no codes are setting then the commanded starter relay state needs to be checked with the key in the crank position.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok so we don't have the equipment or scan tool to check the PCM.He only has a key programmer which I guess picks up fault codes

How many power feeds are present at the starter relay with the key in the crank position?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how do we detect that?

You'll remove the relay and test for power using an incandescent test light.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok he is just a locksmith so I guess I will have to take it to the shop or somethin to do that.. what type of mechanic should I take it to and what type of test should ask for?

A dealer would be the most experienced and have all proper tools and service information. You'll just need to ask them to diagnose the no start condition.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thanks I plan to visit them tomorrow I will tell you how it went if you would like to know.

That would be great, let me know how it goes!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello I just got my vehicle back from the shop it was the starter!!!! But it wasn't turning over at all that's why I wanted a second opinion. Glad I took it to that place but they said it's making a horrible knocking voice and they think it's the fly wheel. We didn't have this problem before and no one has touched my transmission. What do you think?

You have the car back now? Do you hear the noise?