Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have an 03 dodge neon. I have owned it about 12000 miles

Customer Question

I have an 03 dodge neon. I have owned it about 12000 miles current mileage is about 112000. The previous owner had this issue happen 2 times. Once with no restart once with it restarting. It happened to me the day before last. First 3 days prior I went to start the car and nothing. No lightsense no crank. Than after about 4 key turns it fired up, no issue. Than for the next couple days the radio would loose power an reset. Than 2 days ago I was driving and the whole car shut off. No lights dead. Like I shut the car off. Than it came back to life about 2 seconds later. I have read many neon owners with the issue but no resolution
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Battery and alternator are new (1 year) when I pulied over after the car died and came back on, I shut the car off and turned the hazards on. Theven hazards worked for a min, than stopped working. But when I started the vehicle is fired right up no issues. Codes were set p0888 p0700 basically saying the car lost power unexpectedly
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
with a car as old as your neon(13 years young) the FIRST thing to look at would be the battery cables if they are loose,corroded or internally loose (poor connection between the cable AND the end internally) the car will lose power completely sometimes intermittently and suddenly, used to happen on my neon in my case I replaced the battery cable ends with aftermarket ones, your case may be different but I BELIEVE the entire cable assembly is still available if needed
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The cables are fine, no looseness or corossion,
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
how did you test them?
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
there is very very little else that can cause the car to lose ALL power except a poor connection either at the battery or one of the cables, look on the starter there SHOULD be a second battery cable on the starter with a fuseable link attached that feeds the cars electrical system I have seen these become corroded and cause intermittent electrical connections,REMEMBER I cannot see your car so I am relying on you to be my hands and eyes
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Visually, used a fluke to test continuity of the ground, checked continuity of positive. Both less than .2ohms.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was wondering about the ignition circuit, if therequired was a failure in the switch or in the ground for that could the car see no ignation signal and think it's off?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If there was a failure*
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I feel like if there was a battery issue the car wouldn't restart with no hesitation...
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
wiggle test?you said you lost ALL power the only things that go throu the ignition switch are things that come on with the key in on or accessory, with ALL power lost you need to look at the battery, cables, and connectons
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
seen many concerns with poor battery cable connections causing INTERMITTENT loss of ALL power
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you turn the ignition off, everything shuts off, so I am wondering if there was an issue couldn't it tell the ecu that it's "off" thus turning the car "off"
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
what is your skill level with basic electrical systems in cars?
Expert:  bill replied 6 months ago.
I have to opt out DO NOT RESPOND you will be locked to me
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am an ase master I just work on toyotas, don't have access to dodge stuff
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
this is a weird issue. I see its common with thease neons
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome. Different expert here. I can help but we would need to speak over the phone. This is an extra fee. If you are willing to do so, please request a phone call on your end and I will call you. Thank you.