Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

2005 Dodge Magnum.. this has happened 5 times now in the

Customer Question

2005 Dodge Magnum.. this has happened 5 times now in the last yr and half ... After engine being cool drive a mile or less and engine seems to choke ,car shudders ,ck engine light comes on.. some times dies sometimes doesn't. Will pull over turn it off and then it will start up and no problem Dealership finally got a code replaced EGR valve 2 months ago... Happened again last week ..they say can't find problem
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: yes turns over ... I don't know about battery ..Dealership does all of my maintenance
JA: When was your last tune up?
Customer: dealership did that last year ..spark plugs etc
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no i am 68 and a woman
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. This really sounds like an oxygen sensor that is not warming up fast enough when the engine is started cold. It can be a little bit lazy with it's voltage signal while warming up and trick the PCM (engine computer ) to think that the engine is running too rich. The PCM then leans out the fuel mixture too much and cause this problem you are having. If the oxygen sensors have not been replaced in a while, then I think that you may want to ask the dealer to do that. Whenever I see this type of problem that you described, I have found that a set of fresh o2 sensors usually takes care of it. I think that this will fix it.I hope that this information is helpful and if so, would you kindly rate my service when you get a chance? I would really appreciate it and if you have any follow up questions or concerns, I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.Thank you!Chris