Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge ram: i have a dodge 3500 cummins truck . i was driving

Customer Question

i have a dodge 3500 cummins truck . i was driving and it started shutting down like it was running out of fuel. i would let it sit for just a second then i could drive for about 200 yards then it would die again.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. That is a classic example of a fuel delivery problem. You said you looked at the filter, did you replace it? Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i replaced it 2 weeks ago so when i looked at it today it was still good
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
you still there
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Ok I see. Then you have a lift pump that is failing. Do you know if your truck still has the stock plastic lift pump mounted to the back of the fuel filter or has it been upgraded to the in tank style? Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i dont know how do i check
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Look at the area behind the fuel filter and see if there is a black cylindrical plastic pump attached to the filter itself. let me know. Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if it atatchs to the back of the housing where the fuel inlet is then no , but there is something on the font of the housing that has two wires hooked to it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is a lift pump basicaly a fuel pump
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Ok, then you have the in tank style. That pump is probably failing or there is a restriction in the pick up screen in the tank. You can test it by removing the supply line going into the injection pump. Place it into a clean container and then "bump" the starter with the key and leave the key on. The fuel should flow from the hose and into the container
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
If the pump does not produce about 46 ML in 10 seconds, then it will need to be replaced, and yes it is basically a fuel pump. Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thank u i just ordered a new one
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
You are welcome! And if I have been helpful, please don't forget to use the just answer rating service and rate my service. Thank you!! Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
I will get absolutely no credit unless you rate me. It will not cost you any extra, and I can still help you even after you rate. Thanks! Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Hello? Were you able to see my last reply? Are you still here? Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Hello?? Where did you go? Chris