Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician

1997 Dodge Intrepid 3.5 V6, Camshaft Position Sensor showed

Customer Question

1997 Dodge Intrepid 3.5 V6, Camshaft Position Sensor showed an error code. While removing the connector, the release tab broke off and fell into the void. Is it necessary to keep the connection together?
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 130,000
JA: When was your last tune up?
Customer: 60,000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just unplugged the sensor and put it back on.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,If the connector will go back on, and stay there on it's on without the lock, the weatherproof seal should keep it captive.What is the code that was set?If the code is a range/performance code, there is nothing wrong with any of the electrics.The timing chain will be stretched and logs a code for range/performance.If it is a no signal code, then it could be a wiring fault, bad sensor, or faulty ECM.Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
PO 0340 A circuit bank one or single sensor - malfunction
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Ok, that good, the fault will be electrical.The first thing you can do is swap the cam sensors from bank 1 to bank 2.Erase the code after the swap.If the fault becomes bank 2, you know the sensor is faulty.Can you do that?Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did clean my plugs yesterday and didn't drive it until this morning when it sputtered then died. It started again then the check engine light came on.
I will do that and get back to you tomorrow with an answer.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Ok, did you wash the engine, or anything else while you were changing the plugs?I'll wait until you swap the sensor over.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi again,How did you go, do you need any further help?I hope my advice has been of assistance to you. Please rate my service at your nearest convenience. Kind regards Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well, it turns out the wiring connector must have been making a poor connection. I took the car out twice yesterday and twice today and so far it has not activated the CONVENTION light.
Thanks for the advice and I'll contact you if it does it again.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
That's good, let us hope it stays that way.RegardsGary