Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Dodge Durango limited 5.7: I started my 2005 Durango, it ran

Customer Question

I started my 2005 Durango, it ran for under 3 seconds, then shut off. It did this 3 times, then it wouldn't even start. Wasn't even engaging the starter. I've checked the starter and the relay for the auto shutdown, both ok. Battery is great and fuel pump cycles. But will not lock with the key fob either. What am I missing?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Have you had the fault codes checked/read out with a compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers at all? Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not yet. It wasn't throwing a light previously
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Have you tested to see if you have constant battery power at the starter on the larger cable and on the smaller ignition cable do you have power when you try and start the engine at all? Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Power is good. I do
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Did you have power on both the smaller ignition and the larger main power supply?The smaller ignition feed should only have power when someone is holding the key in the start/crank positions. Let me know,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check that all and get back to you. Had someone else with the tester when I cranked
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,let me know when your ready this way we have a starting point to go by here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Have to do some running around to get the truck out of here. Then I will test it out
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good.If I do not reply right away when you post back here again I will as soon as I can. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's all I can ask. Thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it Pete. Thank you!!!!!! Knock sensor put the truck in shutdown mode
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete