sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Pearl my engine is covered with water and the fan won't spin

Customer Question

Pearl my engine is covered with water and the fan won't spin and the heater doesn't work. BUT sometimes the temp gauge is normal and the heater does work! The coolant doesn't not leak out when i put it in. So it must be a small leak but that wouldn't make the fan stop or does it? Dodge 2008 Caravan
JA: Coolant leaks can be frustrating and tough to diagnose. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 155,000
JA: When was your last tune up?
Customer: 8 months ago
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes i can't afford a mechanic that's why i own a car with 155,000 miles and it's a crapy car
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: first to see where the leak was. i can see it, it's small and 12 bucks will fix it but that doesn't explain the no heater and no fan
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Which fan is not working? The one for the radiator under the hood, or the blower motor fan for the heater and ac? Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the one for the radiator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
zzzzzzzzz
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it's a 5 dollar deposit why did the site steal 28?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is this scam?
i could go to a mechanic shop to be robed. what is this?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
oK Thanks. Low coolant can and will prevent the fan from coming on because it does not touch the coolant sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the coolant is to the top
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
By the way, it takes me a couple of minutes to respond, so please be patient.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it said 5 bucks what's with the 28?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Has the cooling system been pressure tested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i am talking to you so i don't have to take it to a wasteful mechanic shop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
imagine, Firestone wanted 1200 to fix one brake. I had it done for 147 with new brakes and labor. what a scum business
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it takes me no time to answer
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, go to your auto parts store and ask them to perform a cooling system pressure test to identify the source of the leak. Get the leak repaired and then reevaluate. Tell me does the radiator fan come on when the AC is turned on? Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
why would i go to an auto parts store? im in manhattan we don't have those things.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is an outrage. you're telling me to go to a mechanic?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Because they will check it for free.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not likely
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I don't think I can help you. I am trying but you will not let me. I will opt out of the question and see if another expert can help you. Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a garbage dodge with 155,000 miles. garbage. the repair needs to be about 10 bucks. does head gasket sealant work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no you will answer my very easy quesitons. this is insane. 28 bucks for this??????? i coulda had a sandwich
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
24 hour wait? my car will catch fire by then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
REFUND
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It sounds as if you have a large coolant leak. The lack of heat would be because there is air in the heater core rather than coolant.There are many possible leak sources including the radiator, hoses and water pump but the most likely leak would be from one of the plastic T fittings on the heater core supply hoses. A pressure test may be necessary but if you closely inspect these plastic T fittings you will likely find one is cracked, which will require replacement of the hose assembly.