Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

My check engine light is on, the motor seems to rev up on its

Customer Question

my check engine light is on, the motor seems to rev up on its own and the auto parts store says the code is for the map sensor
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: P0068
JA: Huh?
Customer: the printout that the guy at the store gave me says error code P0068
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if i can
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing, just got back home and looking up the code and where the part is
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: it has over 200k miles on it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Hi,What year, model, and engine size do you have in your dodge?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
07 durango - V8
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Ok. The p0068 indicates a problem between the throttle position sensor and the MAP sensor. Basically the computer is seeing that the two sensors aren't communicating with one another correctly. According to dodge, these are the possible causes:MAP sensor signal circuit is shorted to groundCheck for a large vacuum leakTP sensor signal circuit is shorted to groundMAP sensor ground, signal or reference voltage circuit has high resistanceTP sensor has failedCheck for a restriction in the Air Intake systemTP sensor ground, signal or reference voltage circuit has high resistanceMAP sensor has failedPCM has failed
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
I would probably check for air leaks first. Look for tears in the air ducting or mis-installed air filter. From there I would get a hold of a scan tool if possible and check the signal from the TP sensor. If that looks ok I would check the wiring to the TP sensor and the MAP sensor.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Please let me know if you need additional info.