sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge: Have a 1997 dodge 3500 dually 2wd 5.9 Cummins turbo

Customer Question

Have a 1997 dodge 3500 dually 2wd 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel No wait to start light no water in fuel light in limp mode no reverse need to troubleshoot
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.
Hi there.I would look at the no-reverse issue first. This condition can be caused by a worn or broken band and/or a cocked servo piston. Pull the pan out and check it; if the band is the issue, the trans needs to come out for replacement.Best Regards.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would like to know that the computer is talking to the trans before I start replacing things especially the trans because from what I'm told the valve body's go bad in these things all the time
OK. I can help you with that as well. Do you have access to a scan tool capable of communicating with both the PCM and TCM in your truck?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I do not
I'm sorry, but I don't know of any way of finding out if the computer is talking to the trans other than with the aid of a capable scan tool. I'll opt out and see if another expert does. Please do not reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle your question back to me.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!A loss of reverse is a separate issue from the rest of the problems. Loss of reverse can only be internal trans failure, whether it's a geartrain issue, the low/reverse band or servo.The other issues may be a lack of PCM response but you'd also be stuck in third gear all the time, it wouldn't charge and the fuel gauge wouldn't work. Is that the case?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I got pcm to communicate last night I have water in fuel light wait to start light trans temp light and alt is charging. Still no reverse but when I drop it down into 1st gear the truck runs and doesn't slip
Has anything been done to try and diagnose the lack of reverse?Do you have a trans pressure gauge?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing done to diagnose I may be able to obtain a pressure gauge not sure
The first step should be to test reverse servo pressure before the pan comes off or trans comes out. If you can come up with a gauge we can check pressure to determine if it's a hydraulic or mechanical issue.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok how is that test performed ill have time Thurs eve to work on it
Number 1 in this picture is the rear servo test port. You'll remove this and install a 300 PSI capable gauge there, and then check the pressure in reverse.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
And this will tell me if it's the valve body or servo seal
This will tell if the servo is leaking or possibly a valve body issue, but it's almost surely not going to be the valve body.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've heard on these trucks that the valves stick is that correct
Shift valves will stick once in a great while but the manual valve isn't sticking, if it was a valve body problem it would have to be leakage
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What psi am I looking for
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What thread size is the test port
I believe it's 1/8" NPT, any pressure gauge set will have it. Minimum pressure is 160 PSI.