Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

I have a '99 Durango, 5.9L. Will be driving down the road

Customer Question

I have a '99 Durango, 5.9L. Will be driving down the road and it will just stall. Sometimes all guages work and it starts right back up again. Other times, all gauges "flat-line" and I have to turn it off and on until gauges are working, then it restarts. I've replaced the PCM (ECM) three times, Crankshaft Positioning Sensor twice, Camshaft Position Sensor once, Idle Air Control Valve twice, MAP Sensor twice, Intake Air Temperature Sensor twice,and TPS Sensor twice. After replacing everything, it ran great for a day, then it started all over again. I love my Durango, and would like to keep it running for another 180K miles or more. I need help, as I'm at my wits end with this issue. All of this started summer of 2015.
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery? Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: Any time, it doesn't matter
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've replaced the PCM (ECM) three times, Crankshaft Positioning Sensor twice, Camshaft Position Sensor once, Idle Air Control Valve twice, MAP Sensor twice, Intake Air Temperature Sensor twice,and TPS Sensor twice.
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.
Can you do me a favor, I need you to start the vehicle. And then go out under the hood and find the main wiring harness. It's rather thick and runs alongside the engine by the frame and shock. With it running grab the harness near the shock and shake it and see if it dies. If it doesn't look closely at the harness for about 2 feet in either direction from the shock and verify the protective cover isn't rubbed thru at all.
Let me know what happens
Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did as you asked and it did not die. It ran strong the entire time. I also checked the harness and there are no issues with the protective cover, it is solid. I forgot to mention in the original write-up, when it stalls, I have full battery, whether the gauges are still working or flat-line, the battery is still fully functional.
Ok so one other thing, crawl underneath the vehicle. And I believe on the drivers side on the transmission there is a wiring harness that comes into the transmission from above the pan. Grab it and if you can disconnect it (with out the vehicle running) and see if the harness is ok or if the insulation is coming off the wires and if there is transmission fluid on the wires and in the connector.
Let me know what you find so I can continue to help.
Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did as you asked. Could not disconnect the harness, but was able to inspect it. The harness is in great shape, no fraying or insulation coming off. There are signs of Transmission fluid on the outside, as tight as the connection is, I don't see how any moisture could be on the inside, but I've seen strange things before, so anything is possible.
I ask about the transfluid because they had a problem with transmission fluid seeping up thru the connector. It would at times short out because the fluid would disintegrate the insulation on the wires. Starting very very close to the connector actually where they entered the connector. If there is fluid there you will need to disconnect it and check the wires very thoroughly. And you will need to take the pan off and replace the harness on the inside of the Trans or you will have bigger problems in the future. The connector is really hard to get off. So if you absolutely can't disconnect it then while it's running grab the connector and the wires and see if it kills it. I had one that this went bad and eventually fried the computer. So be careful doing it.
I would recommend disconnecting the harness tho if at all possible. Or even using a mirror to look closely at the wires as they enter the connector.
Let me know

Just curious if you had a chance to do this yet?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, I haven't had a chance yet. I got sick and wasn't able to get under the Durango. I should be able to do this today.
Ok no problem. Just let me know.
Just curious if you had a chance to do that yet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Was able to get under the Durango last night and removed the Trans pan. Can't stay under very long, currently have a physical issue preventing me from staying long. May not be able to get back under it until Thursday or Friday. I'm having a medical procedure done tomorrow.
Oh I'm sorry to hear that. Hope all goes well.I'm going camping this Friday so I'm not sure if I'll have internet on my phone. If I don't and you reply then I'll get it Monday when I come back.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was able to get under the Durango, finally, today for a while. The fluid on the outside of the harness is from a leak around the Transmission pan. I discovered the leak when I pulled the pan, loose bolts and warped gasket. So, from inspection, the harness is good.
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 5 months ago.
Ok well I have two more things for you to do.
1) replace the auto shutdown relay that I believe is in the fuse/relay box under the hood.
2) take a volt meter with you and drive till it shuts off. Then check the 5v power supply to either the tps or map sensor. If it doesn't have 5v let me know.
Actually let me know either way. But it has to be checked when it's acting up and not starting. If you check it and it has 5v check if it will start. If it does drive till it dies again and recheck and again make sure it's not starting as you check it. It should have 5v with key on engine off.
Of course be careful as you run it waiting for it to stall.Let me know.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did as you asked, I got a 4v reading on the MAP Sensor. I've already checked the wires and they look good.
Ok, so when it will start, but with the key on engine off, do you have 5 v on the line?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Don't know right now. Can't get it to start, all gauges have Flat-lined, I'm getting a "No Bus" message on the Odometer, and my OBD II Code reader shows "No Link" on the Screen.
Ok this is good for testing then. Recheck the 5 v constant on the tps with it unplugged. If not 5v then unplug the cam sensor and turn ignition off for 15 second and then back on, and retest the 5v at tps. And same with crank sensor. And same with map sensor. If still no 5v then I'll really need you to unplug the harness at the transmission and then retest the 5v at tps after turning ignition off for 15 seconds.Actually you should start with the transmission connector after checking the 5v at tps with it unplugged.The governer pressure sensor in the Trans can short that 5v reference from the computer causing the problems you have.All the sensors I listed share the 5 v reference from the computer and since you replaced everything but the Trans sensor, my money is on it.Let me know what you find.