Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

2005 srw 3500 cummins. 4 wheel disc brakes. Front brakes lock

Customer Question

2005 srw 3500 cummins. 4 wheel disc brakes. Front brakes lock up. Since the issue occurred , New booster. New calipers. New brake lines. The truck was towed with front brakes locked. Could the melted ABS sensors in the hubs be causing brakes to lock?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. I can't see the wheel speed sensors causing this, but you will need to replace them anyway so start there. I am leaning more towards a problem with the master cylinder or the ABS Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU). This is a fluid pressure problem and I recommend trying the master cylinder first and then if needed the HCU. And be sure to flush/bleed the system thoroughly. I hope this information helps, and if so please don't forget to take a minute to rate my service using the just answer rating system. I will get no credit unless you do. Now I can still help you out even after you rate me if you need more assistance. Thank you! Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you received my answer. Let me know if you did or did not. I can send it again if you did not receive it. Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it. Gonna replace the master cylinder and see if does any good.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sounds good. Let me know how it goes, and if you need more help, I will be here for you. Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Master cylinder didn't fix it. ABS control mod next.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
That's about all that is left to be honest with you. Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Just make sure you replace the Hydraulic section and not the electronic module. Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's throwing multiple codes. The hydraulic portion is $464. The electronic portion is $505. I've got a 2003 3500 as well. I think we're gonna try swapping them to see if that's it before I dump more money into parts I don't need.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Not a bad idea. Let me know how it goes. Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we swapped them out. But because the VIN# ***** in the 2003 doesn't match the Vin in the 05, it was throwing codes. Such as : vin number not matched and left wheel. So, I completely unplugged the ABS module. And drove it for a while. Seemed like they weren't locking up. So we decided it was the abs module. This morning I started driving it and the brakes locked up. (waiting on new abs mod from dodge). What in the world is causing these dad gum brakes to lock up. All 4 wheels.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to clarify. The abs module is still unplugged. No power going to it at all for it to lock the brakes. Question....does it fail in a lock down mode? Whereas when it loses power, it locks the brakes? So having the unit unplugged also causes lockup?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Were you getting a left wheel code with the original module? And did you swap the hydraulic portion also? Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Swapped the hydraulic portion. Wasn't getting the incorrect Vin code. Was getting wheel code. The left abs sensor in the hub probably needs replaced. Replacing high press lines to brake booster this afternoon. Gonna try that.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this is a good one for sure. Keep me posted, Chris