Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.
66997337

Every since I tried to program a key to the car afterward my

Customer Question

every since I tried to program a key to the car afterward my engine light came on its trowing the code for wrong oil my gog lights don't want to work its throwing a code for catalystic converter I don't know what to do
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if its possible if not I will take it to the dealer
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: no not that I spoke to the dealer and they said they never heard of that code I think its p1521
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Can you run by a parts store or wherever you had the codes checked before and get me the actual codes so I can give you relevant information instead of working off of "I think"?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yes I will get the codes now for u
Alright. Just reply and let me know what they are and we will move on.Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no
OK.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
here r the codes p1521 and p0420 and this all started when I tried to program a key to my car
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did take the car to mavis muffler shop andit had a small leak were the flex pipe was welded so they cut the flex pipe out and welded a new one on then that catalatic converter threw that p0420
The 420 code is almost always a bad catalytic converter. The converter was probably partially clogged up and the backpressure caused by the buildup made the flex pipe leak. When they fixed that leak then the PCM detected the bad cat. As far as the other code when was the last time the oil was changed and what type and weight of oil was used?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
3wks ago the dealer changed the oil it was 5w20 and it was castro oil ful synthetic oil
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can it be the oil sensor
And how long ago did that code set?
What kind of car is it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
a month ago and its a 06 dodge charger rt hemi 5.7
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I change the oil every 3months or 3k miles
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can it b when I tried to program the key I messed up the computer and if yes maybe I need to take it to the dealer and reprogram the computer system
I would start by reflashing the PCM with the latest software. There is a TSB on that that I am attaching to this post.I doubt it had anything to do with the key. I think its just coincidence that it seems to have started at the same time. Reflashing the PCM will probably cure it. If not I would suspect the oil pressure sensor.Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank u so much I made an appt to reflash the pcm
No problem. Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you. THanks