Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.
66997337

I owned a Ford escape, and now I own a Dodge Journey. The escape

Customer Question

I owned a Ford escape, and now I own a Dodge Journey. The escape boasted a 16 gallon tank yet the fuel light went on at about 13 gallons used and I could never fit more than 13.4 gallons in the tank.
The Dodge Journey boasts a 20.2 gallon tank yet when it shows 50 miles left it run for 30 more miles (theoretically 20 miles left ) and it only takes 16.4 gallons.
Are the manufacturers lying about fuel tank capacity? Can I trust my gauges?
Follow up question - on both vehicles the "average fuel economy" shown on the dashboard is usually a lot higher than the figure I get when dividing miles driven by gallons purchased. s this normal?
Thanks, ***** ********@******.***
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.The overall capacity is bone dry to full to the neck. The gauges read a little bit off and you really cant fill it to full capacity with the gas pumps we have these days. They will kick off a couple of gallons before its actually filled. The vehicle will run usually at least 50 more miles once the gauge shows empty but its not good to run it that low as the gas cools the fuel pump and if you run it bone dry the pump will overheat.The average fuel economy from the computer is never very accurate. Someday they will perfect them but right now that isnt the case.