Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2004 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi. It was running fine

Customer Question

I have a 2004 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi. It was running fine then when I slowed down to turn it shut down hasn't started since. It will try to start when pushing the gas peddle to the floor. I have replaced the timing chain, the cam sensor, crank sensor. Any ideas would be great at this point thank you!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I would like to fix yes!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: About three weeks before this it was in an accident where it was rolled on it's side not sure if that has anything to do with it or not!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Does the engine have spark when cranking? If so, does it run on starting fluid? Are there any codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does have spark. It will not run on starting fluid. There are no codes in the computer.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this is a big problem. If the engine does not run on starting fluid (if you disable the fuel system and spray starting fluid into the intake) this means we have an ignition or valve timing issue.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked engine compression?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not checked the compression. I did put a new timing chain in thought that was the problem but still same issue.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Can you run a compression check and reply back with the compression readings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't disable the fuel system before spraying starting fluid. How do you disable it? I am at work right now it will be late tonight before I can check the compression. What would be the general area that the compression should be?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
You could disconnect the connectors going to the injectors or you can pull the fuel pump fuse or relay to disable the fuel system. The compression should be between 150 and 200 psi. All cylinders should be within 10 to 15% of eachother.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will check this when I get home tonight!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome! I will be looking forward to your reply!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be the MAP sensor causing this issue?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
YES, it could.. however, not based on what your telling me. The MAP sensor would prevent the engine from getting fuel.. therefore it would/should start and run on starting fluid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the compression! They are all anywhere from 195 to 200. I pulled the fuel pump relay and sprayed starting fluid in it. Does the same thing still won't start. If you hold the pedal to the floor it will try to start but won't. Any ideas on what it could be?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
And your sure there is spark to each cylinder when cranking? Are you sure there are no codes stored in the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is spark to all cylinders! I put a plug in each one of the wires and cranked it all sparking. As far as the codes all I done was cycled the key 3 times! I haven't had it hooked to a computer yet. That might be my next opposition you think?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
YES, that would be our next step
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will try to get it in somewhere or find someone that can to the house and check. Try to save money on a tow bill.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good! You are welcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the battery in the keyless entry being dead have anything to do with it? Maybe causing the security system to stay on not allowing it to run?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Based on the information you are telling me, now this is not related to the security system. But it is a good idea to check for codes in the computer as this may help pinpoint which direction we need to go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I replaced the timing chain I haven't put it all back together yet. Like the water pump alternater air condition pump will all that need to be back on for it to run
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Only if it is interfering with the cam and or crank senors or signals in anyway.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put all that back together still same issue! Is there anything else I can check or look at before towing it somewhere to have computer checked? If it won't run will someone be able to scan the computer?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
YES, it should communicate with any scanner as long as the key is turned to the "ON" position. I would try scanning it for codes first before getting it towed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a friend coming tomorrow with a scanner! I'll let you know any codes it gives hope one of them will give me my fix!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Fingers crossed!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome!