sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Cruise control does not work on my 99 Durango, 5.9l, 4x4, auto.

Customer Question

Cruise control does not work on my 99 Durango, 5.9l, 4x4, auto. Dash light will come on if brake is depressed then go out when it is released. I have replaced clockspring and brake switch.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: No
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Dodge Mechanic to figure that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2 mechanics. ....clockspring and brake switch
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: Fog lights don't work.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!There are quite a few things that can prevent cruise control from working. The problem could be the cruise servo, lack of vacuum to it, wiring, one of the cruise switches, or it may be a seemingly unrelated issue. For instance if there are trans codes set, a throttle position or MAP sensor issue then it will disable cruise.The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see if any fault codes are setting in the powertrain control module. Do you know if any codes are setting?