sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My serv 4x4 light is on but the selector switch doesnt do anything JA:

Customer Question

my serv 4x4 light is on but the selector switch doesnt do anything
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: i dont have a code reader
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Dodge Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: thats it the light is on but the selector switch doesnt do anything
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: well I think its the front axle disconnect but i dont want to buy a part if thats not it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!There are a handful of things that can cause the service four wheel drive light to come on. The problem could be wiring or the transfer case motor, and if it has a front axle disconnect actuator it can definitely cause the problem also. Older and current vehicles used a dedicated transfer case or final drive control module, DR body trucks and ND Dakota used the TIPM or FCM to control four wheel drive functions. You can do a visual inspection of the components, wiring and connections. If nothing is found then the next step in diagnosing the issue will be to use as scan tool to see what fault codes are setting, and then electrical testing will need to be done from that point to determine exactly what is going on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I used a code reader and it cleared the code and the 4x4 started working again but the next day when I started the engine the Serv 4x4 light came on again is this a grounding problem
What fault codes did you find?