sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have an 01 pt cruiser that I have done an engine swap for

Customer Question

I have an 01 pt cruiser that I have done an engine swap for another 01, we had to swap the heads on them I got a new head gasket kit , and had it running n noticed that the coolant was mixing with the oil, noticeD that the head gasket was put on the wrong way, took it back apart n I had noticed that the original head gasket in it was different but when I put the new one on the right way everything seemed to line up with the inlets n I didn't put the valve seals in it. Have it all together n ran it n the same thing the coolant is mixing with the oil, n I noticed there was 2 different cracked in the valve cover, where the bolts are to tighten it down, also on one of the brackets that holds2 of the lifters doesn't tighten down all the way, I think one of the bolts stripped it alittle in there. Any suggestions on this
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The coolant is entering the crankcase either because of a headgakset, block or head issue. If the block and head are clean, you're installing the gasket correctly, using a quality gasket and are torquing it properly then it won't be a gasket issue. A block issue is possible but it's more likely to be the head. If you don't see any visible issues with the block, deck, or head sealing surface then I would recommend having the head pressure tested at a machine shop.I believe you're referring to cam cap bolts that won't tighten down. If the threads are damaged then you can try HeliCoil inserts, if they don't hold then that would also require head replacement.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The pt that I had taken the motor out of had an egr, n the pt that I put it into didn't , it was blocked off, so I didn't put the egr on it , I left it bocked off, would that cause any problems, n I was gonna get another head, thinking it might be that head, would I get one with or without the egr
EGR wouldn't be a factor in the issue you're having.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So, the place that has the head said he needs to know if it has an egr or not so do I tell him no
If the car should not have EGR then you'd want a head without EGR.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, I will get back to ya if I have any more questions on this which I probably will. Thanks
You're welcome!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here are the pictures of the head gasket when I pulled the intake off, n the underneath of the intake. If u touch the gasket n push down on it, you can see the coolant is laying underneath the gasket, does this look like it's on right n is it the right one
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here's those pic
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
It looks like the head was installed without cleaning the sealing surface?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Now here's a pic. Of the head with the gasket off, did that look like the right gasket n was it on the right way. It looks alittle different from the original head gasket that was in the car
The last picture sent was the block without a gasket. The picture of the block with the gasket in place earlier shows the gasket installed correctly.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What should I clean it with, n should I use a razor blade on it
The sealing surface of any component, including heads and block decks have to be perfectly clean before installing the components. The problem may have just been installing the head without properly cleaning it, but I would recommend having the head pressure tested before reinstalling it. The best way to clean the surfaces is carefully doing so with a Roloc disc, making sure to not remove any metal from the surface.http://3mauto.com/3m-scotch-brite-2-inch-stripping-polishing-discs-03059.html#pxtQIsHFrRxrWR66.97http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131515602195?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, I'll get back to you tomorrow if I have any more questions, thankyou
You're welcome!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Some of the holes on the headgasket r smaller than the inlets, I read somewhere that they changed or upgraded the gasket, could u tell me , is that normal to have some of the holes smaller on the headgasket n even some r closed off
You can compare it to the old gasket if you're unsure but the sizes of holes in the block or head won't always match the gasket. I'd recommend a Mopar gasket and staying away from the aftermarket that you're using.