-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Auto Transmission, Torque converter

Customer Question

2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Auto Transmission, Torque converter locks and unlocks (changes about 200 RPMS) at speed of approximately 70 mph. Unlocks under slight acceleration and under slight load (gradual incline/hill). Is this normal?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 5 months ago.
Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help. I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on... We see this from time to time and the first thing I would advise you to do is loosen the top bracket on the alternator and put the wiring harness on top of the bracket and get it off the alternator.. We have found AC current produced by the alternator bleeding into the wiring harness.. Once you get it off the alternator wiring off the alternator take it for a test drive and see how it does.. Then start cleaning your battery terminals and follow this chart.. The PCM controls the TCC solenoid while monitoring various sensors. See recommended diagnosis / repair steps listed below. Repair as required. For improved diagnostic accuracy use the Co-Pilot tool to data record the condition. STEP 1): DIAGNOSTIC TEST: See test procedure in the applicable Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures Manual. STEP 2): BATTERY AND CABLES: Check battery condition and battery cable connections. Check main ground circuit for the PCM. Repair loose or corroded connections. If dual batteries are used verify batteries are properly matched and are in good operating condition. STEP 3): GENERATOR: Evaluate condition with generator wiring harness disconnected. Generator and/or generator wiring harness may produce excessive radio frequency interference (RFI) which can interfere with PCM input signals. If the condition stops insulate the generator wiring harness with tape or wrap that will prevent excess RFI (obtain locally). Replace generator if condition persists. MODELS WITH CUMMINS DIESEL ENGINE: Evaluate condition with fuel transfer pump electrical connector unplugged. Fuel transfer pump may also produce excessive RFI. If condition stops replace the fuel transfer pump. STEP 4): PCM SENSORS: Check all related PCM sensor inputs. See list provided. [1]: Engine coolant temp must be above 120 degrees. [2]: Trans fluid temp must be above 60 and below 272 degrees F. (varies slightly depending on model). [3]: Vehicle speed must be above 32 mph. [4]: Trans must be operating in 3rd gear. [5]: Brake pedal switch must be open indicating brake pedal not applied. [6]: Park / neutral switch signal to PCM must not be grounded which would indicate the trans is not in gear. [7]: Engine RPM signal from crankshaft position sensor (CPS) must not be erratic. [8]: Throttle position sensor (TPS / APPS) signal must not be erratic. POSSIBLE CAUSES FOR ERRATIC TPS / APPS SIGNAL: [A]: TPS circuit wiring / connector pin problem or TPS malfunction. : Worn or damaged engine throttle linkage or cable. [C]: Defective clock spring unit in steering column which carries TPS / APPS and speed control system signals (both signals may ne noisy on data recording). [D]: Excessive RFI. Check for circuit wiring routed too close to spark plug wires. [E]: Check for electrical add-on equipment connected to TPS circuit wiring. STEP 5): CIRCUIT WIRING: Check TCC solenoid circuit wiring and connectors. Check for shorts to power or ground or chafing (rub-through). Check circuit wiring inside trans pan area. Repair as required. To test ciruit wiring for high resistance suggest use headlamp or fog lamp to place load on the circuit being checked. Circuits with high resistance may illuminate a test lamp normally but a larger lamp will be very dim. If no circuit wiring problems are found replace the TCC solenoid. STEP 6): VALVEBODY: Remove and inspect valvebody assembly for stuck valves / cracks / damage / uneven mating surfaces / loose retaining screws / other. Check all mating surfaces with a precision straight edge tool. Clean and recondition valvebody assembly as required. Torque all screws to proper specification. Replace valvebody assembly if necessary. STEP 7): PUMP ASSEMBLY: Replace trans pump assembly / input shaft with seal rings / torque converter If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad