Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Just put in a new altenator,still only reads 12.56 JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

just put in a new altenator,still only reads 12.56
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: altenator was only putting out 10 volts so i replace it,the new one is only putting ou 12.56
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: put a new altenator in it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. What is the year, model, and engine of your Dodge? Chris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1989 2500 with cummins diesle
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
are you there
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Ah ok. The PCM (computer) on the fender well is responsible for voltage regulation. has that been checked yet? Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Also if the PCM does not see a speed signal from the engine speed sensor above the front crank pulley then it will not allow the alternator to charge. Does the tachometer work? Chris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no how do you check that
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Hang on and let me see if I can find a diagnostic procedure for you. Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
So the tachometer does work? Ok, do this next: get a 12 volt test light and see if there is power on the large stud on the back of the alternator with the engine OFF. Let me know if there is. Chris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes it lights up
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
you there
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Ok good. Now I am seeing different charging systems for the 1989 diesel. Your truck may actually have an old style voltage regulator mounted to the fire wall. I have a picture for you to look at. Click on that link below and locate the voltage regulator in the picture. Tell me if you have one on your fire wall. Here is the link:
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
It looks like this:
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i dont think so there is two things that plug in in that area but it doesnt look like a regulator
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Any way you can take a picture of the fire wall area and send it to my phone?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ill have to do it tomorow after work, gave my camera to my helper to take some pics, you have an e mail, its eiser that way
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Ok no problem. Send it to***@******.***. I will keep an eye out for it tomorrow. Chris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you send it tommorow
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Ok, have a good night! Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Any luck with sending a picture? Chris