Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

2002 Ram 5.2 V8 with the MIC illuminating the "Air

Customer Question

2002 Ram 5.2 V8 with the MIC illuminating the "Air Bag" lamp. The ACM was delivered after being adjusted/updated, I installed it into the truck, connected my DRB-III and updated/reset the ACM. I adjusted for the side airbags, and because of quad cab ensure I have "no passenger airbag switch" (which is correct, there is no switch the operator can engage/disengage). I cleared any DTC's and tested the bus, the PCM/MIC communicates with the ACM but still illuminates "Air Bag" I have no DTC's active/stored. I found a second ACM (it's condition I don't know, the vehicle didn't appear to be wrecked but I don't know its history), installed this ACM went through my steps again and again receive "Air Bag" with no active/stored DTC's. I tested the MIC to ensure it wasn't faulty and the DRB-III says the ACM is requesting the lamp and the MIC is doing its job.
Suggestions, recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Anthony
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 7 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. I know sorry because you have waited so long for us to help may not make up for it. If you still are in need of help after this long wait let me know and I will do my best to try and help.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lol, funny thing. I'm in Germany (yes the country) and take care of all my emails after leaving the shop, my phone is linked to my mail so if it's important enough I acknowledge while there but otherwise don't expect any "hurried" response being I'm 6 time zones away from EST
Can I get the vin#?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry,
Took a long weekend off with my wife.
I don't have the Vin currently but I'll email it as soon as I get it tomorrow.
Super
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
VIN as follows
1D3HU18Z12J254157
Thanks, ***** ***** powers and grounds at the Airbag Control Module. Pins 14 and 15 are key on power, pin 4 is a ground. Next check the bus wires on pins 21 and 22 for about 2.5 volts each. If the Instrument Cluster doesn't receive data from the Airbag Control Module, it will turn on the lamp. Unplug an air bag or belt pretensioner to conform the ACM will in fact store a code. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll pin it out tomorrow thanks, ***** ***** interested if it would notice a code if I disconnected one of the devises so I unplugged the driver side shin something rather and the module sent the correct code to the PCM. As far as I can tell it does alert when something is faulting but I have to read the DTC's since the Mic is always on.
Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
here is what I have, #1 ACM (the ACM from another vehicle, condition unknown) 12 volts with key on for both pins 14 and 15 using pin 4 as ground. 21-4 was only 1 volt, 22-4 was 0. The only difference with #2 ACM is 21-4 was 1.2 volts.
If you unplug the ACM, and test the BUS wires with the key on is the voltage back to 2.5 volts?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nope, 21-4 pulsates from .8v to 1.2v then back again, continually. 22-4 has no voltage at all.
I do not believe I can figure this out not in person. I am going to let another try.
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern. It seems that the second module you tried was a "used" module. Was the first replacement a "Used" module also? Can your scanner access the VIN number that is stored in the ACM?? Keep me posted... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry its taking so long to reply, car show over the weekend and we all have to have our hobbies.
Yes, the second module is a module we had in another vehicle, I don't know the "condition" of this module so it may have been in an accident. The DRB-III sees both ACM's and originally recognized both ACM's as having a "conflicting" VIN, I instructed the DRB to "reset" the ACM and was then able to apply "side airbags" and "no passenger on/off switch" both ACM's responded and "performed" as expected. The PCM sees no code nor does either ACM but (according to the DRB) the ACM's are requesting the MIC to illuminate the lamp. Again, the first ACM (ACM-1) came out of a vehicle (V-1) that was doing this same thing, it was sent off to be "reprogrammed" the second (ACM-2) came from a vehicle that I don't know of its condition, as I'm writing this I recall this vehicle (V-2) had another ACM (ACM-3) and when it arrived there was no code/lamp from the PCM/ACM/MIC. This will get confusing, bare with me. ACM-3 was used to replace ACM-1 in V-1 so we could complete that vehicle and get it out of the garage, ACM-1 was sent for "reprogramming" but I don't know by who or their reputation. Now in theory I should be able to put ACM-1 in V-2 and receive the "clean bill of health" as V-2 didn't have an ACM issue at all when it came in... I'll go tomorrow and see if I can find another ACM laying around, any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.
Hello,If the module you are installing has the wrong VIN stored, it WILL Keep the Warning Lamp illuminated. IF the module is new or reprogrammed and "Cleared" out before installing, it will have NO CODES and will still illuminate the Warning Lamp until any needed configuraton is performed. After configuration is completed using a capable scanner, the lamp should go out on it's own...Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions... Thank you, Robert