-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

Ram Pickup 2500: I have a 2014 cummins 2500 6 speed manual

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2014 cummins 2500 6 speed manual and around spring I've been hearing g a high pitch squeal it only makes the noise after the truck gets warm and the noise is always at 1200 rpm and can do it in park or driving. Right before winter I changed my oil and I always ran 15w 40 and I put 5w 40 in it idk if that has anything to do with it or not?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 5 months ago.
Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help. I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on... Can you tell where the noise is coming from? I would suspect the turbo is making the noise but since it's new it could be a leak.. is the check engine light on and if so what codes are setting? Have you inspected the engine for any soot to locate a leak? The oil wouldn't cause any noises but I would recommend using 15w-40.. Do you hear the noise when you have the exhaust brake on? Talk soon,Brad
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It almost sounds like it's from the middle of the truck but can't tell cause it's so loud and the noise was happening before I put the new turbo and manifold on the new turbo is non vgt but sound only happens when truck is warmed up and only at 1200 rpm
Expert:  -Brad- replied 5 months ago.
I would check the entire EGR system and also look at the rear of the EGR cooler as I have had to replace the gasket because it was leaking causing a squealing noise... If you see soot then you have located the leak and can repair it..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The egr is completely gone I had it deleted and the new manifold doesn't even have plates anymore where the egr block plates use to be.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 5 months ago.
Ok if you don't have the EGR cooler mounted to the exhaust anymore then it's leaking somewhere else.. Did this noise start after replacing anything? Usually it's a leaking gasket causing the noise, have you gutted the DPF and installed a programmer?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yeah its 5 in straight piped and has a tuner and cold air intake it was making the sound before I did the turbo and manifold and it still is now I just can't find out where it is cause it only starts when the trucks warmed up and I can make it do it on command
Expert:  -Brad- replied 5 months ago.
Have you checked the EGR blockoff plate on the intake side? It's most likely some sort of leak on the exhaust EGR side and I would check it good for any signs of soot.. If you look over the entire engine do you see any soot? If you rev the engine to 1,200 in park will it make the noise so you can locate it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've checked the plate and everywhere before there's no soot it almost sounds like sound is traveling through the exhaust but you can't hear it when you're at the back of the truck I don't think it could be a boost leak cause its only at that certain rpm not above or below it
Expert:  -Brad- replied 5 months ago.
Do you have a recording of the noise that I could listen to? If you don't have any soot then there is no leak causing the noise..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I don't I could try to take one tonight after work and that's why I'm thinking it's not a leak cause its only at that certain rpm a leak should be doing it all the time with air flow
Expert:  -Brad- replied 5 months ago.
Yeah I would like to have a listen and like I said if you don't see any soot then you don't have any leaks and it's internal. Since you don't have a VGR turbo then I wouldn't suspect it's coming from the turbo.. If it will make the noise in park I would have someone in the truck while you listen for it.. Also if you could get a recording it would help..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do you upload videos on here