Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

Dodge: i have a 1999 dodge ram2500 van it starts when cold

Customer Question

i have a 1999 dodge ram2500 van it starts when cold then shut off and will not start untill it sits for about an hour and then repeat the same thing
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, the most commonly failed part with a scenario like yours is the crankshaft position sensor, it is located on the right of the engine at the block to transmission mating surface behind the cylinder head. that sensor tells the engine control unit if the car is running or not so if it stops sending the signals to the ecm which in turn shuts off injector and spark to the engine, then when it cools down the sensor operates normally until it will eventually fail completely. i would change that sensor first and see what happens. Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.