-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

My 05 dodge grandcaravan 6 dvd player noyt JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

My 05 dodge grandcaravan 6 dvd player noyt
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2005 dodge grandcaravan 6 dvd player wont play keep flashing lights and making noise when i start the van up please help my kids need to watch there educational dvds on road trips
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I dont know how or where to start maybe you can guide me
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: Nope nothing at all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 months ago.
Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help. I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on... If the DVD lights are flashing then it either has a stuck DVD or the unit itself it bad.. DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - AUDIO/VIDEOAny diagnosis of the Audio system should begin with the use of the DRB III® diagnostic tool. For information on the use of the DRB III®, refer to the appropriate Diagnostic Service information.Refer to the appropriate wiring information.WARNING: On vehicles equipped with airbags, refer to electrical, restraints before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury.AUDIO SYSTEM DIAGNOSISCONDITIONPOSSIBLE CAUSECORRECTIONNO AUDIO.1. Fuse inoperative.1. Check radio fuses in fuse block module. Replace fuses, if required.2. Radio connector damaged.2. Check for loose or corroded radio connector. Repair, if required.3. Wiring damaged.3. Check for battery voltage at radio connector. Repair wiring, if required.4. Ground damaged.4. Check for continuity between radio chassis and a known good ground. There should be continuity. Repair ground, if required.5. Radio inoperative.5. Using a scan tool, check for trouble codes in the audio system.6. Speakers inoperative6. Refer to speaker diagnosis.NO DISPLAY.1. Fuse inoperative.1. Check radio fuses in fuse block module. Replace fuses, if required.2. Radio connector damaged.2. Check for loose or corroded radio connector. Repair, if required.3. Wiring damaged.3. Check for battery voltage at radio connector. Repair wiring, if required.4. Ground damaged.4. Check for continuity between radio chassis and a known good ground. There should be continuity. Repair ground, if required.5. Radio inoperative.5. Using a scan tool, check for trouble codes in the audio system.NO MEMORY.1. Fuse inoperative.1. Check ignition-off draw fuse. Replace fuse, if required.2. Radio connector damaged.2. Check for loose or corroded radio connector. Repair, if required.3. Wiring damaged.3. Check for battery voltage at radio connector. Repair wiring, if required.4. Ground damaged.4. Check for continuity between radio chassis and a known good ground. There should be continuity. Repair ground, if required.5. Radio inoperative.5. Using a scan tool, check for trouble codes in the audio system.POOR RADIO RECEPTION.1. Antenna or cable damaged.1. Refer to antenna diagnosis.2. Ground damaged.2. Check for continuity between radio chassis and a known good ground. There should be continuity. Repair ground, if required.3. Radio inoperative.3. Using a scan tool, check for trouble codes in the audio system.4. Poor antenna connection at radio or in line.4. Check antenna connector.SOUND DISTORTION (VIBRATION FROM SPEAKER AREA, BUZZING - HUMMING)1. Door trim panel loose or missing fasteners.1. Inspect door trim panel and correct as necessary. Replace any missing fasteners.2. Water shield loose or misaligned.2. Inspect water shield and adjust as required.3. Items placed in door trim panel map pockets vibrating or moving from side to side.3. Remove items from door trim panel. Ensure that vibration is no longer present.NO/POOR TAPE OPERATION.1. Tape damaged.1. Insert known good tape and test operation.2. Foreign objects behind tape door.2. Remove foreign objects and test operation.3. Dirty cassette tape head.3. Clean head with Mopar® cassette head cleaner.4. Radio inoperative.4. Using a scan tool, check for trouble codes in the audio system.NO COMPACT DISC OPERATION1. CD damaged.1. Insert known good CD and test operation.2. Foreign material on CD.2. Clean CD and test operation.3. Condensation on CD or optics.3. Allow temperature of vehicle interior to stabilize and test operation.4. Radio inoperative.4. Using a scan tool, check for trouble codes in the audio system.HEADPHONES WILL NOT HOLD A CHANNEL OR HAVE STATIC1. Weak batteries in the headphones.1. Replace batteries.2. Closeness to radio transmitter such as a radio tower, airport transmitter or some mobile radios.2. Move to an area away from these conditions.REMOTE CONTROL INOPERATIVE1. Weak batteries in the remote control.1. Replace batteries.2. Operation constraint of system2. Make sure that rear audio is in a different mode than front speakers. Remote control will not work when both are in the same mode. VIDEO SYSTEM DIAGNOSISCONDITIONPOSSIBLE CAUSESCORRECTIONNO VIDEO (DVD PLAYER WILL NOT LOAD OR EJECT)1. Fuse inoperative.1. Check fuses. Replace fuses if required.2. Loose or damaged DVD player connector2. Check for loose or corroded DVD player connector (16 pin). Repair or replace as required.3. Loose or damaged wiring/DVD player inoperative3. Check pin 1 (B+) and pin 9 (ground) of the 16 pin connector, then check pin 1 (B+) and pin 7 (ground) of the 12 pin connector. If the 16 pin connector does not show voltage, the 12 pin connector will not show voltage (the 12 pin is fed from the 16 pin). If voltage is OK on the 16 pin, but not present on the 12 pin, unplug the 12 pin harness from the player and check the connector pins on the back of the player. If voltage is present on the 12 pin connector, the screen or the 12 pin harness should be replaced. If there is still no voltage on the 12 pin connector, the DVD player should be replaced.4. Ground connection damaged4. Check for continuity between DVD player and a known good ground. There should be continuity. Repair ground if required.5. DVD player damaged5. Exchange or replace DVD player if required.6. DVD damaged.Avoid using CD's or DVD's that have adhesive type labels, as they may cause the disc to become jammed.6. Insert known good DVD and test operation.NO DISPLAY. AUDIO HEARD THROUGH SPEAKERS1. Loose or damaged connectors1. Check for loose or corroded DVD player connector (12 pin). Check for loose or corroded video screen connector. Repair if required. Check for loose or damaged in-line connector.2. Wiring damaged2. With harness connected, check for video signal voltage at DVD player and at video screen harness. Place known good DVD into DVD player. Place positive lead of voltmeter on pin 5 (video signal) of the 12 pin connector. Place negative lead on pin 6 (video ground). Readings should be between 0.1 volt to 2 volts DC.3. Video screen damaged3. Exchange or replace video screen if required.WHITE DISPLAY1. Low voltage1. Check for battery voltage (9 volt - 16 volt) at DVD player 12 pin connector (pin 1 - Battery, pin 7 - Ground). Display will be white if voltage drops below 6 volts.2. Video screen damaged2. Exchange or replace video screen if required.DARK OR BRIGHT SPOTS ON SCREEN1. Brightness setting requires adjustment.1. Adjust brightness setting of video screen by pressing buttons on side of video screen until desired level is reached. Start with a black screen, then press button up 16-20 times. There are 64 total steps of brightness.BRIGHT OR DARK DISPLAY1. Video screen display pixel defect.1. The acceptable level of dots on the screen is (green - 1, red - 2) or a total (green + red + blue + white + black) = 8. Replace or exchange video screen if necessary.VIDEO SELECTIONS DO NOT APPEAR FULL SCREEN WIDTH1. Aspect ratio is set incorrectly.1. Using mode button, adjust until video appears correctly.2. Some DVD's are two sided. One side is wide screen format and the other is full screen or there may be a wide screen or standard screen format on the disc.2. Ensure that DVD is inserted correctly.BUTTONS ON VIDEO SCREEN INOPERATIVE1. Video screen damaged.1. Place known good DVD into DVD player. Once image appears on video screen, press top button on side of video screen to adjust width of display. Press bottom buttons to adjust brightness. Once DVD menu appears on video screen, press middle button on video screen. Highlighted selection will begin to play. If any of the buttons do not function, replace or exchange video screen. I would first try disconnecting the battery for 5 min then reconnect to see if a hard reset will help, and if it still flashes then it's very likely the DVD player is bad and it will need to be replaced.. If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad