Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Cannot shift into reverse, 2nd, fourth or 6th gear. First,

Customer Question

Cannot shift into reverse, 2nd, fourth or 6th gear. First, third and fifth work although shift lever seems loose when going into gear. This happened at a stop sign with no noise or indication of anything wrong.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I can.
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 8 months ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'm going to assist you.
What is the year, make and model of your vehicle?
Hi, do you still need help with this problem?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Waiting for your response.
ok, I need to know what is the year, make and model of your vehicle.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
07.5 3500 Ram 6.7L 6 speed manual
It sounds like you have a broken shifter cable. When you attempt to put it into gear in the gears that will not engage, what does happen?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You can not move shifter lever rearward to R,2,4 or 6th gear position. Lever can be moved right and left and forward to engage 1st, 3rd and 5th. Does this transmission use forks or cable to engage gears?
I apologize, I misspoke about the cable...it sounds like you have a broken shifter mechanism. It does use forks to shift. The shifter sits directly on top of the transmission. Are you able to pull the boot off and access the four bolts holding the shifter on top of the transmission?