Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!

Sprinter: I have a 2003 Sprinter, and three times now the engine

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Sprinter, and three times now the engine has died suddenly, accompanied by the ECU warning light turning on. When I stopped the vehicle, I've been able to restart the engine and go on. But, the last two times this happened, they occurred within less than a minute. So, I'm wondering if I need a new ECU, or could it be something else going on? Oh, and I had AutoZone read from the OBD port, and it is not spitting out any codes.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.
Hello, usually a issue like this is caused by a crank position sensor, but usually it takes a good half hour to hour before it will start back up, also autozone scan tools will only read a engine module code if the code is current, that is the downfall. can you tell me if you were going over any bumps or anything or is there a specific scenario that the engine seems to die more than others or is it completely random?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The incidents appear completely random. The first time the engine died was at least 6 months ago, and the latest two issues were Saturday. Again, they happened within a quarter mile of driving, but I've driven the van today about 10 miles and no issues. Re-thinking the "completely random" comment, all three incidents have been within the first few minutes of driving after the van has sat for awhile. I recently had the fuel pump on the top front of the engine replaced, along with the set of translucent plastic fuel lines.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.
ok let me look over your reply,Thanks
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.
ok, how many keys do you keep on the keyring ?sometimes a large number of keys will cause the switch to slightly turn and shut the engine off, if that does not sound like something that would affect you then we can be looking for a poor connection or loose fuse in the fuse block.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, Lou P., I hope you're still around to help. I had to get away from my computer in the middle of our discussion yesterday, for which I apologize. Following your latest post about the possibility of the keys turning the van engine off, I experimented with the ignition key while driving my Sprinter yesterday. I tugged and wiggled the keys around fairly forcefully, and they remained in place and the engine continued running. When I turned the ignition key slightly counterclockwise, I did shut the engine down, but the ECU failure light did not come on, which it has done all three times the van engine has died while I was driving. So, I don't believe the keys possibly turning the engine off is the same scenario as I've experienced. I will get into the fusebox and check the ECU fuse to make sure it is seated well and not corroded, etc. By the way, I've driven my van at least 15 miles today with no unexpected incidents.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks for the reply and no worries about leaving me lol, i am here almost all day every day. ok so let me know if you see or find anything like corrosion, there was a issue with corrosion in the connector to the traction unit which is where all the brake lines screw into the aluminum block .