-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a shake in the rear end of a 2014 ram 1500 JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

I have a shake in the rear end of a 2014 ram 1500
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My truck is at the dealer now. They worked on it yesterday and replaced the driveshaft which helped some but shake is still there
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: mechanic insists he fixed it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: That if I don't get it fixed Ill trade it for a Ford or Chevy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.
Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help. I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on... When did you first notice the shake? Are you 100% sure it's in the rear axle? Has the axle shafts been inspected? What is your VIN number?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I first noticed the shake after replacing the factory tires in December of 2015. Shortly thereafter I took it to the tire dealer who then rebalanced the tires. He ended up balancing the tires three more time before conceding that it was a bad tire and ordered me two new rear tires. This took place last week. He thought this fixed it. It did not. I then took it to the dealer. My truck now has 33,500 miles on it. The dealer yesterday tried different wheels on the rear that did not help so they took a driveshaft off of another 2014 Ram and put it on mine. He says that fixed it. I still feel the shake at 74-76mph. I seems to have helped the shake from 65-70 mph though. I took it back in this morning and the guy thought I was nuts but I know my truck.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.
We have had some axle shaft issues with the new Ram's.. What is your VIN so I can check for any bulletins?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't have it in front of me let me see if I can get that.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1C6RR7JT1ES412915
Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the VIN!!! You have 4 open recalls but done for the axles.. If you run it up on a rack does the axle shake? If you remove the tires does it still shake?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As far as I know the dealer swapped wheels/tires and that did not fix the shake. I told them they fixed a friend of mines truck by replacing the axle and wheel hub which finally fixed it. I relayed this to the dealer who seemed skeptical
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dealer now says he thinks they fixed the problem with the new driveshaft and that my brand new tires on the rear are cupped causing the vibration. They are going to change some things around and see.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 10 months ago.
Ok let me know how it turns out..