Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Stratus: 2005 dodge stratus. Had motor replaced last month.

Customer Question

2005 dodge stratus. Had motor replaced last month. Car now stalls and 17 different codes. Seem to all stem from rapid misfire. Checked battery and good. No corrosion. Replaced altenator. Car running I have 12 volts and slowly decreases. Belt is tight.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Would you tell me what all of the codes are?

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i don't have them with me, but the autozone guy said they were all stemming from the rapid misfire code. i tested battery this morning....12.4 at the battery and at the alternator with car not running. started car and both the battery and alternator read 12.0 with no lights or radio etc on. altenater is brand new.
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.
Ok then you may have a problem with the PCM. The PCM contains the voltage regulator and is responsible for keeping the charging voltage at around 14 volts when the engine is running. Do one more test before condeming the PCM : with the engine off, check for voltage at the large alternator post on the back of the alternator. If you do have 12 volts on that post with the engine off, then suspect a faulty PCM.Chris
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is there a way to test the pcm for sure. i hear they are expensive. on line i saw several people say it was not the pcm, but rather a neutral switch, or a bad ground at alternator or engine block
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
im getting the codes now......
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i don't mean to disrespect your opinion....its just i took it to the mechanic yesterday and he swore the altenator was no good even though it looked new and looked like it was just replaced, and now im out 150 bucks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok...codes from before i put in the new altenator ...441, 300, 700, 740, 32, 38, 52, 58
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.
Ok thanks. Some of those may be erroneous due to low system voltage. Get the charging system fixed and clear the codes. See if they come back.Chris
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok...but what can I do to fix the charging problem....is the pcm the only choice???what about the neutral selector switch or a bad ground??
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Neutral switch or a bad ground will not have any effect on the charging system at all. Have a shop double check the wiring to the alternator and the PCM, and verify that there is voltage on that large alternator stud. Then if it is confirmed that this is all ok, then replace the PCM.

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i think i screwed up.....i just checked the codes by turning on off 3 times.....they are p0622, 0032, 0038, 0052, 0058i don't know where thoise other codes came from....maybe when i wrote them down from my toyota....anyway....altenator was tested good...battery tested good.....atenentor producing 11.5 volts while running...please help
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Ok, then it has to be the PCM, or the field wiring between the alternator and PCM. That P0622 code is a code that sets if the PCM detects a problem with the field circuit. Let me see if I can find a diagnostic procedure for that code.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

What engine do you have in your Stratus?

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2.7 flex T
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Ok, let me see what I can find. It might be a while though,

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok...thanks....also, i don't know if i mentioned it but the motor was replaced with a used motor 1 month ago....when i got the car back the lights were flickering and radio would cut out....i looked uder hood and the ground wire was loose....so i tightene it up and that issue went away ....but i don't know that the mechanic who put the engine in did any kind of programing for the new motor...not sure if it needed to be, just checking
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the battery light came on a few days after the motor was put in
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Well it has to be a wiring issue or a PCM. Will send the procedures when I get home from work.

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK...ORDERED PCM...ANYTHING SPECIAL I NEED TO DO WHEN INSTALLING IT?
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

When you ordered the PCM did you provide them with the vehicle's VIN number?

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
NO...THEY DIDN'T ASK FOR IT...I ORDERED IT FROM PARTS GEEK.....IS THAT BAD????????
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ORDERED IT ON LINE
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
SHOULD I CANCEL THE ORDER???
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Well Ask them if they can pre program it with the VIN number so all you will need to do is to install it and go.

Let me know if they will do that.

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
THIS IS WHAT THE AD SAYS..........Availability: (8) In Stock
Condition: Remanufactured
Shipping Options: Free Ground Shipping
Part Number: 79-4613V
Brand: A1 Cardone
Notes: Engine Control Computer -- Remanufactured; Vehicle specific Flash programming required ON or OFF the vehicle.Accurate VIN and mileage are req'd; with OE # ***** 613AA-AD
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I OPENED A QUESTION WITH THEM AND WILL WAIT FOR THEIR RESPONSE. I ASKED IF ITS TOO LATE TO PROGRAM IT OR IF THEY EVEN DO.....I DON'T THINK THEY DO
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Ok, keep me posted.

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
customer service says the warehouse ships the pcm without programing. I probably should have looked into that before ordering it, but, to late now...its on its way. How do I program it???
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Well install it and see if it will start. If not, install the old one and drive the vehicle to the dealer and pay them to program it for you. The PCM will need to be installed in order for it to be programmed. But maybe you will get lucky with the new one and it will not need programming.

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok...thank you...it takes 3 to 7 days to ship so when I get it I will let you know
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Sounds good.. By the way I am assuming you checked that wiring right?

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had 2 mechanics check all the wiring and fuses....but there's always the possibility they missed something. ..we won't know until we swap pcm....hopefully the pcm fixes the problem
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Ok just wanted to be sure.

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok..pcm came today.....just disconnect the old one and connect the new one and see what it does????
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Yes but disconnect the negative battery cable before installing the PCM

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
took the car to dodge this morning. they installed the new pcm and programed it. STILL putting out 11.8 v at the altenator. oops there goes 400 dollars out the window...any more brite ideas????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.

Then the new alternator is defective, or the wiring between the alternator is open. You said that you checked the wiring earlier, and that it was ok. How exactly did you do that?

Chris

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i took the altenator . they said it couldn't be tested because the regulator was in the PCM....so they gave me another one just in case....both did the same thing.....chances that BOTH are bad????...my mechanic said he checked and rechecked all the wires..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2 altenators, new pcm, battery checked, all battery connections cleaned and tightened, mech said all wires checked
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.

I would like to talk to your mechanic and ask him how he checked them. Is that ok?