bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert

Ram 1500 V8 5.7: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 5.7. 95k miles. Had

Customer Question

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 5.7. 95k miles.
Had Aftermarket HID lights installed when bought from dealer used. Low Beam Driver side started to shut off/flicker. Therefore, I decided to replace the HIDs with new ones. Everything behind the headlight was spliced and diced from the previous owner, I attempted to redo everything the right way… neither side would turn on, High or low beam.
So I bought new OEM Headlight harness for both sides and copied the previous owners splicing. (I was only replacing low beams on both sides with all new HID kit and wiring harness) After splicing the connections as the previous owner did, I was able to get both high and low on both sides to turn on. As I buttoned up the connections the HIDs and the high beams on both sides shut off.
It feels like I burnt something out. I decided to buy another OEM harnesses from the dealer and two new low beam halogens. After zip tying the harness to the trucks power supply behind the headlight I was able to get the passenger side to turn on high and low. There is a small red clip that secures the connections that is broken on both sides. Zip ties worked, barley. (This seems not to be the problem on the driver side)
The driver side will not turn on. I have had two other men who are much more mechanically inclined than I am look at this issue. They are baffled. I traced all my power with a multi meter and am at a loss.
What is the problem? What is the fix? Is there a work around solution? Thank you -Devin
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.
flickering on HID's is a known issue and the fix is using canbus ballasts, and possibly load resistors, the headlamps and most lamps on all modern Chrysler products are pulse width modulated which in simple terms there is a computer that pulses voltage very rapidly to the lamps this provides a steady consistant voltage BUT drives cheaper HID ballasts nuts and they flicker or simply will not ignite the for cutting the harness there should be NO NEED to splice anything with good quality kits, where did you get the kits and what's the number you bought ?
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.
i see you have yet to respond have you solved you're problem or do you still need assistance?i have installed several sets of HID lamps myself including a set on my personal 13 dart this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service