Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

Sprinter 2500: Can't turn key after battery died from leaving

Customer Question

Can't turn key after battery died from leaving cooler plugged in...rechared batteries can't turn key...ID security locked out,? Also need to put in neutral to get off towing flatbed
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The problem you are describing may be caused by y our key having lost programming. When the ignition key is inserted into the Electronic ignition Switch/Central Gateway , it detects the presence of the key and activates the transponder. This permits reading the encrypted data in the key which unlocks the cylinder permitting it to rotate and unlocks the Electronic Steering Lock Control permitting steering wheel rotation. I would start first with trying your spare key and see if it will read. If neither key will work then unfortunately the system will need programming .