Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2010 Nitro sxt. no heat out of driver side floor vent or defrost

Customer Question

2010 Nitro sxt. no heat out of driver side floor vent or defrost vent. Dash vent works fine. passenger side works fine.
JA: You're in good hands. The mechanics are bona fide experts, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one to suss out any problems with the dash you might be having. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: that's about it. engine at temp. when switched to defrost or floor vent, driver side blows cool air, passenger side hot air. dash vent works ok
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: dealer quoted me 600 to diagnose so if I can yes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

The first thing to do is have the codes retrieved from all of the modules. There may be a problem with one of the actuators that open and close the blend door or another door. Instead of ripping apart at the dash, I think it's best to see exactly what is going on first. If you don't have a scan tool, usually the auto-parts store will retrieve the codes for free, although make sure they will retrieve all the codes from all of the modules, because I know autozone will only retrieve codes from the ecm/pcm and not any from the bcm.

Then when you get he codes give them to me.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

It would also help if you told me what engine is in this, the 3.7 or 4.0 and if it's a detonator, heat, sxt, shock or se.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 7 months ago.

Here is a short explanation of how the blend and mode actuators work,