Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

I have a 1998 dodge 2500 24 valve diesel that so always

Customer Question

i have a 1998 dodge 2500 24 valve diesel that so for has always started but i have to crank it longer than i should. sometimes i stop and crank it again. i just bought it used with 159k mi on it and it was doing it whin i bought it. i put a new lift pump on and changed the filter. thenew cummings filter did not come with orings or seals for the bango line connections. we had a hard time getting the air bled to get it started. when it hits it starts instantly. it runs perfect but i havent pulled anything with it yet. i thought you might tell me the things it might be starting with the most likley. thank you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. I see this every now and then on these engines and it usually ends up being a small fuel leak in the fuel return line (s) from the engine and/or injection pump going back to the tank. The other thing that it may be is a problem with the injection pump itself. So check for any leaks or sweating in any fuel line and repair as needed. If you see none, then replace the injection pump. I hope that this information is helpful and please let me know if you need further assistance. Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.
Hello, just checking back to see how it is going with the truck. Were you able to do an inpection of the fuel lines and fittings? Please note: If I have been at all helpful, please help me and rate using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!