cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to work on all makes and models

2005 caravan wont turn over...shift indicator will not show

Customer Question

2005 caravan wont turn over...shift indicator will not show park or neutural even though it is in park or neutural.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: no
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Dodge Mechanic to figure that out. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: wont start like i said in the first post
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: new trans pos ie neutural safety switch
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  cardoctor74 replied 5 months ago.
The issue is a shorted park neutral switch that tells the vehicles computer it's in Park and allows the vehicle to start. Since it's not allowing it to show in Park or Neutral it's shorted internally and will need to be replaced to fix this issue. This is the next step. Hoped this helped. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated. I'm here if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I already replaced it ...inside tranny
OK has the transmission computer been checked and just need to be sure you replaced the correct switch and adjusted it after it was replaced ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I changed the transmission range sensor in the tranny.... It does not have an easy neutral safety switch to change out. The contacts on the trs make or break when the shifter is moved. I am sure it tells the dash display that it is in fact in either P R N D L. The display sometimes jumps over N and doesnt go to P but rather lands in R even thought the machine is in park. Hence the no crank. The shift cable is fine. I cannot find a schematic to check if the contacts in the trs are in fact making contact. The contacts had worn a bit of a groove where they make contact. Wondering if that was the issue. But I need a schematic to go further. Unless there is a better area to look. An online search of these symptoms showed I am not alone with this exact problem....but no one had a given a solution. Regards, Jim
Ok let me see if I can find the schamatics for you .Its most likley a contact issue.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
any luck on the schematics?
Trying to upload them they will not upload for some reason. Going to try to change the file type
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
any luck?
I'm sorry haven't forgot. Been sick with the flu and even had the flu shot so I have been down for the count. I should be good tomorrow if that works. Thanks again.