Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

I lost the keys to my dodge 2005 stratus and I went to the

Customer Question

I lost the keys to my dodge 2005 stratus and I went to the auto parts store have them my vin number and bought an ignition tumbler we changes it and now the car won't start...we were thinking maybe my key had a chip in it? What can we do? Can u reset the anti theft? Or disconnect it...I need my car to be drivable asap
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: We tried unhooking the battery and reatarti g
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: That we changes the ignition tumbler
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern. Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so that I can do some research on this concern for you?Is this a new key along with the ignition tumbler?? Keep me posted... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes 2 keys came with the tumbler...the last 8 digits of the vin are 5N562886
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Those keys don't have chips in them
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.
Ok, since your vehicle is equipped with the Immibilizer system you have two choices at this point.. If you have enough "Original" Chipped keys, you can have the replacement tumbler recoded to the original key. If that is not an option, you will have no choice but to purchase at least one "Chipped" key and have it programmed to your vehicle. To program the key you MUST visit your dealer (recommended) or a locksmith to program the keys.If you need to get it started in the mean time, get the original key and tape it to the head of the replacement key. Tape it in a way that the chipped portion of the key sits close to the ignition tumbler so that the Immobilizer receiver module can receive the signal from the chipped key. IF you place the key correctly you will be able to start the vehicle with the replacement key and the original key held in position to transmit to the SKIM module while starting. This should at least get it started for you to be able to drive it somewhere if needed.... Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions... Thank you, Robert