Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

Dodge Dakota: I have a Dodge Dakota truck. The water pump went

Customer Question

I have a Dodge Dakota truck. The water pump went bad and I replaced it. When the job was complete, I turned the drain plug to the closed position but the water did not shut off. What can I do.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. Are you talking about the drain petcock on the radiator? Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.
Not sure where you went, but I think you were talking about the drain petcock on the bottom of the radiator. If it still drips after turning the drain to the off/closed position, then the O ring in the drain petcock is torn. You can replace that O ring. Open up the drain petcock again and catch the coolant in a clean drain pan so you can reuse the coolant. Then turn the drain some more counter clockwise while pulling on it. It should come out of the radiator. Then you can take it to your auto parts store and they can match up the O ring. Then install the O ring onto the drain petcock and reinstall it into the radiator. The only other option would be to replace the entire radiator. I hope this information helps, and if so, please take a minute to rate my service when you get a chance. Thank you! Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.
If my answer has helped you, please help me and rate using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!