sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I have the latch of the 2nd row seat, driver's side, jammed

Customer Question

I have the latch of the 2nd row seat, driver's side, jammed between the door and the back of the opening. I can't budge the door.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I guess the seat belt hadn't retracted before I activated the driver's side sliding door. When I tried to open it, I could get no responser. I pulled out the extra seat belt material from the jam area but couldn't move the belt latch.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried using the key fob to activate the door opening function while I pushed out on the sliding door from inside the van. Nothing. I also tried using the inside and outside latches on the sliding door but couldn't release the door.
JA: Dealing with a malfunctioning key fob can be frustrating and really inconvenient -- the mechanics will have somegood ideas about what to do. Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: The key fob is fine. The door's motor won't respond, neither to the fob nor to the controls located on the van.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the sliding door module doesn't see the latch pawl release immediately during a power open cycle then it will abort, so you'll need to concentrate on opening the door by hand.

There may be more at play than the seatbelt. For instance if the child protection lock is engaged then you won't be able to open it from the inside handle anyway, and if the power lock actuator isn't working then you may not have noticed it wasn't unlocked, which will prevent you from opening it from the outside handle.

What year is the van?

Do you know if the child protection lock was on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I fixed it. Thanks.