Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

Sprinter 2003 we have black exhust and a black film on the

Customer Question

Sprinter 2003 we have black exhust and a black film on the back doors? When we had the oil changed they switched from the 0w to another 5w I think it was?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: However we also don't have any power like going up hills or when want to pass a truck? Petal to the flood does nothing?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Oh no but would to know before they replaced everything and we still have the problem?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: 121,00 miles
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.Is the check engine light on? Has it been scanned for codes? You stated that "Everything" has been replaced, can you list ALL parts that have been replaced. I need to know exactly what has been replaced.. Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No engine light is on?
No I wanted to know what the problems could be, before they start replacing stuff? LOL a friend said it could be a valve sticking?
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.
Most common cause for this concern that may or may not include a check engine light would be either the Turbo Resonator or intercooler or one of the intercooler hoses may be leaking turbo boost. The Turbo Resonator would be the most likely cause especially if this vehicle pulls heavy loads frequently or is a larger motor home. Click Here to view Turbo Resonator. If you want to be sure, I recommend to have it scanned, even though the CEL may not be on, there will likely still be codes stored in the ECM that will point you in the right direction... Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions... Thank you, Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.
Another cause could be a sticking EGR Valve but if this were the problem, it would most likely have turned on the check engine light... If you have it scanned, post the codes here and we can go from there... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What about injectors & seals? I am thinking maybe this may be it?
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.
Injectors are possible but these would be the LEAST likely cause. Any of the above can cause issues with the ECM calibration and cause the black smoke and soot buildup on the rear of the vehicle. For an injector to cause this it would have to be stuck open, with this scenario it usually ends up burning up the engine.... Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions... Thank you, Robert