bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert

The etc keeps screwing up the truck the light is coming on

Customer Question

The etc keeps screwing up the truck the light is coming on and flashing but it's not showing a code in the truck
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It's not giving me any codes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Cleaning the battery connection
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.
how are you trying to pull codes? if the ETC lightning bolt is flashing there HAS to be a code your tool may be too basic to retrieve them
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a tuner in that is throwing a different voltage high curcuit....but I did the basic turn the key three times on off on off and it's saying that there are no codes
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.
that OLD method went the way of the dinosaur many years ago what code numbers did your tuner throw, you may need a decent code reader to get them all, many many things can set the ETC warning this is to maintain proper throttle control
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
P0653 sensor reference voltage B circuit high
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.
i do not do live calls as of yet and i cannot send along any files needed over the phone
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.
i need the vin so i can pull the correct diagnostic procedures and send it to you for teh code you have, does your tool read data as well?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No it does not 3D7UT2CL7BG601095
Expert:  bill replied 5 months ago.
that's going to make it a bit more difficult to diagnose right the first time, but there are only 2 possible causes 1 a wiring problem and 2 a failed ECM, here is a link to the diagnostic procedure and a complete description of the code, this code DOES NOT indicate any throttle body problems BUT the 5 volt reference voltage ALL the sensors on the engine use, being a cummins the ecm is a bit difficult to access as it's on the drivers side of the engine and you MUST BE 100% sure the ECM connectors are CLEAN before you attempt to remove them or you will damage the connectors and if you decide to tackle this diagnosis yourself be careful with the probes on the meter (DIGITAL ONLY) you use a "T" type sewing needle can be of great assistance here cummins uses a very small terminal and is very sensitive to connections far more than a gas engine computer, please read over the procedure and see if it's something you can tackle, if you need an ECM it WILL need to be properly programmed as they are usually blank, and a USED ONE it out as the security system will not match and teh truck will end up dead this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service