sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Dodge ram 1500: I wanted to ask about installing the power

Customer Question

I wanted to ask about installing the power outlet in my 2010 dodge ram
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!I see that you're looking to install an inverter and components but I'm not certain your whole post came through. What was your question regarding the inverter?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 that didn't come with the power outlet on the radio bezel. So I bought the radio bezel with the outlet and I also bought the on/off switch Than I bought the power inverter with the harness. All parts were OEM mopar parts for my truck After all this I still get no power on outlet
It won't work if the parts are simply installed. What you'll need to do is bring the truck to your dealer and they'll need to add the option code for an inverter to your VIN. Then they will need to connect the WiTech and update the truck's build configuration.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I took truck to dealer after installing all parts and they couldn't get it to work. They worked on it for like 4 hrs and still could get it to work they told me that if the truck didn't come with that option they wouldn't have to code to reset it or "flash it"
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also had them check to see if my wiring harness is the same as a truck with those options and they yes it is I also checked all fuses
I haven't seen anyone try to add an inverter on a truck that didn't come with one.Flashing is reprogramming software that engineering has developed to fix a specific issue.What specifically was done to try to get it to work?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They took the whole dash apart and check wiring They said it could be the power outlet itself so than they made buy a new one and I did so but that didn't fix it I already spent over $700 to just have a small power outlet that doesn't work
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also gave them the vin # ***** another truck that did have the power outlet to see if that helped but no help
If they only checked the physical parts then they didn't do what was necessary. It can't work if they don't add the option code to the VIN and then update the build configuration. If the option code isn't available to add to the VIN then it can't be made to work as designed. The switch is a LIN bus input and the TIPM has to send a CAN bus message to the inverter module to turn on. If the option can't be added to the VIN then the TIPM and instrument cluster don't know to operate the inverter module.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm gonna take truck in again next week and tell them about this info I will also ask for a more detailed list of what was done
Let me know how it goes!