-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

My truck just keeps cranking and cranking after it gets warm....very

Customer Question

my truck just keeps cranking and cranking after it gets warm....very hard to start
JA: The mechanics can certainly get you off to the right "start" -- sorry! Sometimes I can't help myself;-) Seriously, though, the mechanics are real masters when it comes to fixing things, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have used them before....I have replaced the lift pump and injector pump as well as the batteries and alternator...truck starts easy after sitting and cooling down
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes...see last statement on new parts
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: there are no codes....truck runs great after starting!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.
Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help. I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on... What kind of Dodge do you have? Do you have fuel psi and spark when it will not start? What codes are setting? Talk soon,Brad
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
01 ram cummins.........no codes...new lift pump, injector pump, batteries and alternator
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the reply!! Ok on a Cummins if it's hard starting then we need to first make sure your getting 500 ml of fuel within 10 seconds at the injection pump.. Just remove the inlet to the injection pump and bump the starter and the lift pump will run for 15 sec so you can measure the fuel.. If fuel delivery is within spec then your lift pump is working fine, next we need to do a injector return test which will require some special banjo fittings.. If you have excessive injector return then you have a leaking injector and it's not building rail psi to bust off... You will then either need to replace all of the injectors or block them off one by one and see which one drops the injector return flow and replace that injector.. But if you have never replaced your injectors I would suggest replacing all 6... If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad
Expert:  -Brad- replied 7 months ago.
I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..Thank you and have a great day,Brad