Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Ram van 1500: 02 dodge ram van 1500 stalls when head light

Customer Question

02 dodge ram van 1500 stalls when head light is turned on or brake is depressed
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 7 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. If you raise the idle speed to 2000 rpms does it still stall or does it bog down?Which engine?So far the alternator is the leading suspect part.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
02 dodge ram van 1500 5.2 L, i thought it was the alternator too but that prove to be wrong.
If you raise the idle speed to 2000 rpms does it still stall or does it bog down?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If i'm on the freeway doing 70 and i hit the brake longer than about the seconds yes the engine stalls
Can you do this in park for me?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, let me explain park, turn key first click P R N etc lights up key in on position P R N & odometer lights up, turn key to cranking these lights dip for a brief sec until vehicle starts then goes into a very low barely visible glow so does the rear brake lights 1 filament in 1 bulb & two in the other & there's more...
So in park the engine will not stall when applying the brakes or turning on the headlights?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes it will If i turn either the lights or depress the brake the vehicle engine quits & there's more
In park hold the throttle at 2000 rpms, apply the brake and or turn on the headlights, does it stall?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes in park @ whatever rpm, or like i said, on the freeway doing normal speeds the vehicle will quit & there 's nothing wrong with the alternator which was my first thought but listen to this, there's a brown wire with a pinkish purple stripe that comes form my towing plug runs all the way over the gas tank through the fire wall that would produce a 7/9 volt when the parking lights are on and 12 volts when either the the lights are turned on or brake is depress...
What is the battery voltage while running?Do other high load electronics stall the engine like the wipers or blower on?This wire is it not OEM, something someone added?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Somewhere between thirteen & fourteen volts, i never tried the wiper or blower, & this wire seem oem & forgot to mention that flasher flashes rapidly when ever this problem is happening or about to happen
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That brown wire comes from towing plug over & combines into the gas tank harness into another plug under the firewall & proceeds up and through the firewall through the main harness plug with the 10m screw in the middle & changes color
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What is the battery voltage while running?
Do other high load electronics stall the engine like the wipers or blower on?
This wire is it not OEM, something someone added?
Was this your last email ?
I was on 2 calls with customers ahead of you. I have been going all over the lighting and engine control diagrams. I can not find the connection here. I think its best I opt out and let another give this a shot.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK