Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Ram Van 1500: 02 Dodge Ram van 1500 shuts down when head lights

Customer Question

02 Dodge Ram van 1500 shuts down when head lights are turned on and brakes is depress
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.
Hi there.Do you still need help with this issue?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, I thought it was the alternative but that's not the case here, the rear break bulbs glow as if the parking lights are on if you attempt to remove any of them the vehicle stalls
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry alternator...
Some customers get upset and give me a negative rating when I tell them they need a certain tool to diagnose the issue they’re working on – instead of directing their anger at the vehicle manufacturer, they take their frustrations out on me. Before we get to that point, please understand that all I can do from where I am is offer you advice based on technical information as it's published by the vehicle manufacturers. As such, it will be up to you to provide whatever tools and equipment are needed to diagnose and repair your vehicle.The battery provides current to run the engine and all accessories, the alternator is there to put back whatever current the battery uses.What is battery voltage when this is happening? Also, what do you mean by "if you attempt to remove any of them the vehicle stalls"? Why are you trying to remove bulbs while the lamps are on and the engine is running?