Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician

My check engine is on says p0420 i changed all o2 sensors

Customer Question

my check engine is on says p0420 i changed all o2 sensors and put cataclean in and still havnt been able to get light out with my obd2 reader i also have this growling sound when i start car like near water pump or belts just changed altenator and belts could u help pls
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi Tracey,P0420 is catalytic converter low efficiency Bank 1.You need to replace the cat converter for Bank 1.The O2 sensors are not faulty, hence why it is still logging the same code.The rear sensor is there to check the cat converter is working correctly.The converter could also be the "growling" noise you speak of.Hope this helps.Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it only growls when cold not hot and so change out cat converter
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Yes, that's right, the cat material degrades and rattles within the casing, more so at cold start.Use a genuine cat for Bank 1.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi again,How have you gone with your problem?I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.Please rate my service at your nearest convenience. Kind regards Gary