Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Durango: 03 durango, v8, 4.7. Think we ran out of gas. Put

Customer Question

03 durango, v8, 4.7. Think we ran out of gas. Put a total of $9.00, turning over but still no start. Tried starter fluid while trying to start turned on very quick but shut back off. Forums suggested resetting fuel pump relay, tried, nothing. Switched relays to test if they were good. Now car won't even turn over. Key turns but no click or anything. Cleaned battery post and connectors, nothing. All inside and outside lights and sounds working fine, nice and bright. Changed fuel pump since we didn't hear the humming sound, nothing. Took off starter had it tested and it's good. Completely lost. Please help! !!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Are there any anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the dash with the key on or when trying to start the engine?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
If so, you might just have a bad ignition key or a bad SKIM module preventing the engine from starting.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
If it is not related to the security system, then I would suspect a bad PCM or a bad PNP switch. On this vehicle, the PCM grounds or activate the starter relay. Here is a wiring diagram.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No flashing lights on dash. I have my dad coming back over to help in a few hours. Well check this. These are the ones on the lower left side by the driver for correct?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay. The PNP switch is located on or inside the transmission. The PCM should be located under the hood if memory serves me correct. I can look it up for you and send you a picture later tonight after I get home from work.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I believe we found the pcm, is there a way to check it? Also you say to activate the starter relay, which we haven't located but what do you mean by activate it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry I think you just meant it activates the switch. Could it possibly be the ignition switch?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Hello! The PCM grounds the starter relay to activate it. Once that happens, the contacts inside the relay close and it sends power out the fourth wire down to the starter.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Yes the ignition switch can in fact be bad.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So there's no way to check it? we would just have to order the entire module? Am I understanding this right? ? So I guess im just confused. Are there actual ways to find out without having to spend a fortune on buying and replacing new parts??
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay! If your asking if there is any way to check the module, the answer is yes. You would need to check all powers and grounds going into the module with the key on to ensure they are good. Once that is done and all wiring is ruled out as a possible cause, then yes, you can condemn the module as bad.