Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

Instrument panel dont work following a guy trying to fix windows

Customer Question

instrument panel dont work following a guy trying to fix windows yjat dont work 2005 dodge stratus
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the mechanic tried fixing window motor and it blew a fuse and now panel is out and somrtimes a hard time stating car
JA: Sometimes replacing a blown fuse can be tricky -- checking with a mechanic is your best bet. The mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the shortcuts to get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: identifing all fuses so i can replace
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: just it has an electrical prob
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 7 months ago.
Is this a Coupe or Sedan?Which Engine?Does the Cluster display anything?What was the person doing when "fuse blew"?Windows are protected by a "Circuit Breaker" & has nothing to do with the ClusterPlease supply above info.....
did you want to continue?please answer questions above
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hello don
sorry prefer text ..it appears i have already been charged more than stated...
its a 2005 dodge stratus..sedan..2.4 L engine..4 cyclinders
the insturment panel all needles are on zero but will light up at night and the mileage is the only thing that is displayingthe mechanic tried to fix window...he used a hotwire detecting pen that lights up on a hot wire..he took off door panel and pull out window motor (on driver side) to test it..one wire was dead so he determine it was not window motor but the one wire and he attached a new wire to it and then attached it to the fuse box in car behind a fuse which was the day time lights fuse ( I didn't even know i had them) the windows worked when i left and down the road stop the windows stopped so i went to my sons house and he discovered that the fuse in another location was blown..the next day i had to try two times to start the car...the next day 4 times to start car..the next day i took it back to him and i cant tell you what he did at that door but the windows work got down the road again and notice my air was blowing on my feet but set for face...turn it a couple of times and it would not adjust..then i decided to try windows...didnot work and i looked at instrument panel and all dials set below zero...my son undid the wire because we felt something is not right and touching something...now a brief history of this car...the dvd player when i first got it in 2007 wouldnot work sometimes ...then 2 back windows went out and 2 years ago the blower would not turn off when the car was off so my son undid the blower.. a friend told him to connect it back and undo the fogger ..being in louisiana i didnt need it and that worked i could use the blower for the air and heat..so it has a history of electrical problems ..so there you go..help
sorry for the charges.....you need to contact Customer Service on your side, as we do not work for JustAnswer & have no ability to help on that..As far as the Window issue....I am concerned with why & how they were rewiredThe Power Windows on this vehicle is a Reversal Rest At Ground CircuitMeaning:2 wires at each window motorSwitch DownOne wire will have 12 Volts +One wire will have Ground -.Switch UpThe wire that had 12 Volts + is now Ground -The wire that had Ground - is now 12 Volts +.IF the person that rewired did not recognize this, & connected Voltage in to wires that switch to Ground, damage can occur to the Window Switches, the Fuse Panel & wiring.As far as the Instrument Cluster, "IF" the windows were miswired, then a dead short could cause issue to the Instrument Cluster, IF the Fuse Panel Circuit Board was damagedTest Fuses "7" & "11" located in the Inside Fuse PanelTest the Fuses with Key ON & test Voltage on "both sides" of Fuses while they are plugged inIF there is Voltage only on one side, then the Fuse is badLet me know what you find
did you need more information?please respond or ratethank you