-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

Ram 1500: do i need to change the computer if i change the

Customer Question

do i need to change the computer if i change the steering column with a new key in myt 05 ram 1500 slt.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 5 months ago.
Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help. Was the SKIM module damaged that fits around the key cylinder? If not then just remove it and install it on your new column and you will be in good shape.. If it was damaged then you will need a new SKIM module because it's married to the VIN so you will need to get a new one and program it with a scantool before it will allow you to start the engine.. If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!Have a great day,Brad
Expert:  -Brad- replied 5 months ago.
Also make sure to use your original key and key cylinder in the new column, and it was damaged as well then you will need a new key cylinder and key... Thank you for the positive rating,Brad